Add spring cleaning your kitchen to the to do list this month! It will help you sort out and reorganize.
Think of your refrigerator, freezer, and cupboards as your personal grocery store. A well organized approach will help you eat healthy.
Reorganizing is the perfect opportunity to toss out foods that maybe standing in the way of you meeting your goals and re-stock with the foods that will help you achieve success.
Start by removing all foods from the refrigerator, shelf by shelf. Check expiration dates! Discard any foods that are past their expiration date or if you can't remember how long they have been in there. Repeat this for the freezer and your cupboards and/or pantry. For storage container suggestions, check out this article from Real Simple magazine.
Refrigerator and Freezer Tips:
- Wash all surfaces with hot soapy water and let the reorganization begin!
- Consider moving fruit and vegetables out of the crisper onto the top shelf at eye level.
- Store foods in clear packaging and containers to easily identify what is in them. If needed label and date the containers.
- Stock up on essentials like: berries, salmon, spinach, broccoli, hummus, ground flax seed, flax seed oil, almond or natural peanut butter. **
Click here for a chart with refrigerator and freezer storage times from the FDA.
Cupboard and Pantry:
- Place foods at eye level that you want to eat more of like: dried fruits, nuts, fruit and nut bars, and whole grains.
- Put snack foods in hard to reach locations or keep them out of your cupboard all together.
- Group like foods together like cereals in one location, grains in another.
- Stock up on essentials like: heart healthy oils (olive oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil), whole grains (farro, quoina, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat flour), spices and herbs (garlic powder, parsley, oregano, basil, rosemary). **
**Tips from my book, The Skinny Rules!